Crunchy Keto Crackers
Updated: Feb 24
Having some crunchy keto crackers can be quite handy while on the go or traveling on board. My boy made these herb crackers with minimal help from me.
It was really a wonderful bonding time for us. Not only has he had a hands-on experience with making crackers, it also helped him to understand the time and patience required from me in providing homemade food for him. He successfully made about 100 crackers!
We were going through the kitchen shelves and decided on the flavours. Italian herbs as my preference for aromatic food and freshly ground black peppercorn for him. We added Himalayan salt for a savoury taste.
Also, for a smooth texture, you really want to use a super fine almond flour.
The tricky part in making these crackers is to keep the butter chilled before blending with the other ingredients and to prevent the dough from melting. You want to take out the butter from the fridge just before you are mixing the ingredients for blending. When the dough is well incorporated, form it into a ball. Wrap it up with a cling wrap and store it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
You'd want to roll the dough as soon as you take it out from the fridge. Place the dough on a parchment paper and flatten it with a rolling pin. As the dough is quite sticky, you may want to lay another layer of parchment paper on top so it doesn't stick on the rolling pin. Roll it evenly to the desired thickness. The thinner the crunchier. But not too thin as it will break. This batch was done with 2mm to 3mms thickness.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and proceed to shape the crackers with your choice of cookie mould or simply cut it into square or rectangular using a pizza cutter. You'd want to shape the crackers and put it into the oven as soon as it's done so to prevent the butter from melting. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the edge is turning golden brown. The crackers will firm up while cooling. Make sure the crackers are completely cool before keeping them in a air-tight container.
1 1/2 cup super fine almond flour
30g butter (chilled)
1tbs mixed herbs
1/2tbs freshly ground black peppercorn
1/2ts to 1ts Himalayan salt
1) Add all the ingredients together and blend well with the butter but do not overblend to the extend where the butter starts to melt.
2) To make the mixer into a dough, knit with your hand.
3) Form the dough into a ball and wrap it with a cling wrap.
4) Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5) Once cooled, place the dough on a piece of parchment paper.
6) Place another piece of parchment on top, and roll using a rolling pin until the dough is about 2mm to 3mm thick.
6) Preheat the oven at 180C.
7) Cut it into square or rectangular using a pizza cutter or use a cookie mould.
8) Put it into the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the edge of the crackers turn golden brown.
9) The crackers will firm up while cooling.
Aaaaaah....... aren't they cute?